Exploring Kedarnath-One of the 12 Jyotirlinga in India
India is the land of spirituality and ancient traditions. It is home to many sacred places that hold immense significance for millions of devotees. Among these, the “12 Jyotirlingas” stand as powerful symbols of Lord Shiva’s divine presence. Kedarnath, nestled in the majestic Himalayas, is one of these revered Jyotirlingas. It is a sacred destination that beckons pilgrims and travelers alike on a spiritual journey like no other. It is one of the Top Destinations to Visit in Charter Helicopters.
Understanding the Significance of the 12 Jyotirlingas:
Jyotirlingas, regarded as the most sacred symbols of Lord Shiva, beckon millions of devoted pilgrims each year. These radiant embodiments of divinity are steeped in deep symbolism. In the term Jyotirlinga “Jyoti” signifies the radiant light and “LINGA” represents the divine mark. Collectively, the 12 Jyotirlingas hold an exceptional place of reverence for followers of Lord Shiva,
Each Jyotirlinga carries its enchanting mythology and spiritual significance. For devotees, a pilgrimage to these sacred shrines is believed to confer divine blessings and fulfill heartfelt desires. It is considered a pathway to purity and spiritual upliftment. Among the vast array of shrines, these 12 Jyotirlingas shine as examples of spiritual awakening. Visiting these Jyotirlingas is considered an auspicious journey for seekers seeking divine grace and spiritual fulfillment.
No wonder that every year many devotees set out on the do dham yatra by helicopter. The primary purpose is to visit one of the Jyotirlingas that is Kedarnath.
Take a Look At The 12 Jyotirlingas in India:
Somnath – Gujarat:
- First of the 12 Jyotirlingas, revered in India.
- Symbolizes Lord Shiva’s radiant presence.
- Chalukya-style architecture.
- Legends of Moon’s curse and Lord Shiva’s appearance.
- Destroyed and rebuilt multiple times.
- Top Jyotirlinga destination, a landmark in Gujarat.
Nageshwar – Saurashtra:
- Jyotirlinga near Dwarka and Beyt Dwarka.
- Seek blessings at the underground Nageshwar Mahadev.
- 25-m tall statue of Lord Shiva.
- Guards against all types of poisons.
- Powerful and popular Jyotirlinga in India.
Bhimashankar – Maharashtra:
- Located on the banks of River Bhima.
- Marvelous black rock structure.
- High footfall during Maha Shivratri.
- Also hosts Kamalaja temple, an incarnation of Parvati.
Trimbakeshwar – Near Godavari:
- Located near Brahmagiri Mountain, the Godavari River’s origin.
- Unique temple with three pillars representing Brahma, Vishnu, and Maheshwar.
- Emerged as Trimbakeshwar due to Godavari’s plea.
- One of the 12 Jyotirlingas with extraordinary shape.
Grishneshwar – Near Ajanta & Ellora:
- 5-storied Shikhara style structure, red rock carvings.
- Vishnu’s Dashavatar is carved on red rock.
- Built by Ahilyabai Holkar.
- Impressive and popular Jyotirlinga is a must-visit in Aurangabad.
Vaidyanath – Deoghar:
- Among 52 Shakti pethas
- The month of Shravana attracts maximum footfall.
- One can seek liberation, moksha, and salvation at this revered shrine.
Mahakaleshwar – Ujjain:
- Set up by a five-year-old boy, inspired by King Chandrasena’s devotion.
- Located by the banks of the Kshipra River.
- Among seven mukti-sthal in India, for eternal liberation.
Omkareshwar – Narmada River:
- Translates to ‘Lord of the Om Sound’.
- Situated on an island called Shivapuri.
Kashi Vishwanath – Varanasi:
- Believed to be one of the first Jyotirlingas showcasing immense power.
- A sought-after Jyotirlinga, offering liberation and happiness.
Kedarnath – Rudra Himalayan Range:
- 4 dhams of Hindu religion.
- Open only from May to June.
- Bathing the Jyotirlinga is believed to rid of misfortunes.
- Samadhi of Shankaracharya is located nearby.
Rameshwaram – Southernmost Jyotirlinga:
- Worshipped by Lord Rama after victory over Ravana.
- Surrounded by sea, beautiful architecture
- One of the 36 theerthams.
Mallikarjuna – Shri Saila Mountain:
- Located on the banks of River Krishna.
- Beautiful architecture, decorated pillars, and Mukha mandapa hall.
- One of the 52 Shakti peeths of Sati.
If you wish to visit at least one of the Jyotirlingas, you must check the 4 dham yatra by helicopter price. In this, you get to visit Kedarnath, one of the 12 Jyotirlingas and 3 other sacred places. These are Badrinath, Yamunotri, and Gangotri.
Few Intriguing Facts About Kedarnath:
There are some interesting facts about Kedarnath which is one of the Top Destinations to Visit in Charter Helicopters:
- Spiritual Significance: Kedarnath, was chosen by Lord Shiva as his abode after the Mahabharata war. It was rediscovered by Adi Shankaracharya in the 8th century CE.
- Protector Deity: Bhairo Nath, the protector deity of Kedarnath, ensures safety for pilgrims, with his idol being moved to Ukhimath during winter.
- Altitude Record: Standing at a breathtaking 3,583 meters above sea level, Kedarnath Temple is the highest Shiv temple in India.
- Pilgrimage Hub: Kedarnath is a vital pilgrimage destination in Uttarakhand. It is an integral part of the Char Dham Yatra, attracting devotees from all over the world.
- Historic Rediscovery: Kedarnath Temple endured a 400-year snow burial, only to be rediscovered in the early 20th century, inspiring unwavering devotion.
- Origin Stories: Legends link Kedarnath to the Pandavas’ quest for Lord Shiva’s blessings. There are also legends about Adi Shankaracharya’s rediscovery during his sacred travels.
- Construction & Restoration: Adi Shankaracharya initially built the temple in the 8th century. It was later restored by Raja Bhoj Pal in the 17th century using marble and granite.
- Unique Symbolism: The temple features a remarkable natural rock-formed lingam. It symbolizes the formless Lord Shiva, standing intact for centuries.
- Idol Variety: Kedarnath Temple houses diverse idols, including the main Sadashiva form, adding to its grandeur and spiritual aura.
- Enchanting Appeal: Kedarnath’s captivating beauty and deep spirituality create a spellbinding experience for visitors seeking solace and enlightenment.
Places you Cannot Miss on your Kedarnath Trip:
There are plenty of places that you can visit in your do dham yatra by helicopter.
Shri Kedarnath Dham Temple: Nestled in the grandeur of the Kedarnath Mountain Ranges, this temple houses the revered Jyotirlinga of Lord Shiva. Its inner sanctum reveals a rich assembly of Hindu deities. The temple’s Mandap hosts sacred ceremonies, adding to its sanctity.
Bhairavnath Temple: A bastion of protection, this temple honors Lord Bhairav. It is considered the guardian of Kedarnath Dham during winters. Named Kaal Bhairav and Kshetrapal, he wields the Trishula, and a dog serves as his vahana.
Shankaracharya Samadhi: The final resting place of Adi Guru Shankaracharya, this spot is steeped in spirituality. A natural hot water spring here is believed to be created by the Saint, offering solace to his followers.
The Kedar Massif (Kedarnath Peak): The awe-inspiring Kedar Massif consists of Kedarnath, Kedar Dome, and Bharatekuntha peaks. The ascent to Kedarnath Mountain’s 6830 meters is challenging, with low oxygen levels. The route from Kedarnath Temple to Bharatekuntha is advised for safer climbing.
Chorabari Tal (Gandhi Sarovar): Gandhi Sarovar, just 1 km from Kedarnath Temple, is a serene lake with floating ice. It is believed to be the place where Yudhishthira ascended to heaven.
Vasuki Tal: At 14,200 ft, Vasuki Tal offers stunning vistas amidst snow-capped Himalayan peaks. Access requires crossing Chaturangi and Vasuki Glaciers, requiring caution and a guide. The best time to visit is between June and October.
Gaurikund: At an altitude of 1982 m, Gaurikund is an ancient temple dedicated to Goddess Parvati. A hot water spring here, known as Gaurikund, has both medicinal and purifying properties. The metallic statues of Goddess Parvati and Lord Shiva grace the temple.
Kedarnath, one of the 12 Jyotirlingas in India, stands amid the Himalayan splendor. The sacred shrine which is revered by millions, offers a pathway to divine blessings. The Char dham yatra by helicopter provides a unique opportunity to visit Kedarnath, It is known for its rich mythology, breathtaking landscapes, and divine presence. Kedarnath is a destination that leaves an indelible mark on the hearts of pilgrims and travelers. Megamax Aviation can offer the best 4 dham yatra by helicopter price. So, book your yatra and set out on this spell-bounding journey at the earliest.